T h e ~ A c t i v i s t' s ~ O a s i s
~ Practical Tools for Troublemakers ~
Welcome to the Activist's Oasis. Here's a place to relax,catch up on the latest news, and pick up a few new tools.
This Month's Cool Activist Site:So you've decided that maybe the Internet can be a powerful tool for activism. Guess what? It's under constant attack by people who would like to censor,control, eavesdrop and slow it down. The Electronic Frontier Foundation(EFF) works to fight off those restrictions. They are also making activistsout of a lot of people. Read the newsletter,join the emaillist, check out their resourceslist. Pay attention to what they have to say, they are fighting thegood fight for all of us.
- Here's a description in their own words:
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) was founded in July of 1990to ensure that the principles embodied in the Constitution and the Billof Rights are protected as new communications technologies emerge.
From the beginning, EFF has worked to shape our nation's communicationsinfrastructure and the policies that govern it in order to maintain andenhance First Amendment, privacy and other democratic values. We believethat our overriding public goal must be the creation of Electronic Democracy,so our work focuses on the establishment of:
- new laws that protect citizens' basic Constitutional rights as theyuse new communications technologies,
- a policy of common carriage requirements for all network providers sothat all speech, no matter how controversial, will be carried without discrimination,
- a National Public Network where voice, data and video services areaccessible to all citizens on an equitable and affordable basis, and
- a diversity of communities that enable all citizens to have a voicein the information age.
Created by Kathy Watkins
Send comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to Internet Literacy Consultantsfor the server space and moral support.